Saturday, May 8, 2010

Salida Del Sol Sobre San Juan - Sunrise Over San Juan

Hola a todos!

I took this photo on the last day a cruise a few years back. We had just returned to the port of San Juan, Puerto Rico, after 7 days in the southern Caribbean. We had a balcony cabin on the port side which faced east once we were docked.



We were leaving that day and my camera bag was already packed. However, I stepped out onto the balcony, saw the sunrise, and went back in to grab my camera with hopes of grabbing a few quick exposures before we left.

I wanted to get as much of the city skyline and the two cruise ships on the right as I could, and then try to silhouette them against the sunrise. That meant my only choice was to place the sun right smack dab in the middle of the frame in the upper third of the image. I was not planning to shoot a sunrise so I didn’t bother trying to get up extra early. As a result I had to work with what was there.

As I mentioned above, this was a few quick snaps in hopes of getting something I liked. Most times if you want to shoot a sunrise or sunset you’ll start by finding a good location, get there early, find your composition, tweak your exposure etc… a lot of pre-planning and set-up. However, photography is not always about planning what you think is the perfect shot. It’s about being able to see what’s around you and having the ability to react quickly to capture the moment. I was hoping to do that here.

Enjoy!

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment