Saturday, March 19, 2011

Kenai Mountains and Whittier, Alaska

I mentioned a few posts ago about the Seward Highway in Alaska having some of the most incredible scenery that you could ever imagine. So many opportunities; however, when you are there for only a short period of time you shoot what you can, sometimes very quickly, and keep moving. The image below was one of those quick set-ups.

We were on our way back from Mt. Alyeska and I wanted to pull off to one of the vista points to see if I could grab a quick shot. We passed this spot on our way down and I was hoping to get a decent shot on the way back. The weather had changed and some more clouds moved in, which gave a more subdued tone than the colour from Mt. Alyeska. When I shoot landscapes I try to follow a simple composition process which includes a foreground, mid-ground and background. A little reflection is nice addition, too. This was looking across Turnagain Arm towards the Kenai Mountain Range. Taken with a Nikon D300 and 18-200 f3.5-5.6 VR lens (f22 @1/100). 


The following image was one from the forward deck of the Sapphire Princess while docked in Whittier, Alaska. What you're looking at is the only road in and out of Whittier. There's something I love about fog that makes scenes like this really interesting. Perhaps it's the mysterious look it gives. If the fog was not there I might not have given this a second look. Again, taken with a Nikon D300 and 18-200 f3.5-5.6 VR lens (f14 @1/25).

 
Enjoy!

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment