Monday, February 15, 2010

The Language of Photography

I have been studying Spanish for a little more than a year; it's such an interesting language. There's so much to learn about the language such as proper sentence structure, rules for conjugating verbs and. like English, a bunch of idiomatic expressions.

When I think about learning photography over the past 5 years I find that there are a lot of parallels to learning a new language. Photography seems to have a language of its own so I thought I would try to highlight some of that here; for purely entertainment purposes only.

Acronyms:

AE, AEB, AF, EV, EXIF, ISO, GOBO, CCD, CMOS, TTL, eTTL/iTTL, HDR RGB, sRGB, CMYK, VR, IS, CTO, ...OMG, TMI, LOL!

What else?

Key Light, Fill Light, Short Light, Broad Light, Butterfly Light, Rembrandt Light, Kicker Light, Soft Box, Strip Light, Bounce Light, Catch Light... Hot Shoe, Flash, Speedlight, Monolight, Strobe, Pocket Wizard (okay, this could be a double entendre, but it's not)... Front Sync, Slow Sync, Rear Sync, X-Sync (almost everything but the kitchen sink!), Dragging the Shutter, Ripping Exposures, Dynamic Range, Parallax, Fish-Eye, Wide Open, Stop Down, Ghosting (popular around October 31st).

Shall we continue?

Low Dispersion, Extra Low Dispersion (is this like extra virgin olive oil?), Diffraction, Chromatic Aberration (that one sounds scary), Hyperfocal, Inverse Square Law (I didn't know I had to learn physics),  Polarizer, Grad, ND Grad, Split ND Grad (I thought I saw a figure skater do a Split ND Grad last night - they nailed the landing), Panning, Dodging, Burning... Fast Glass, Slow Glass, L Glass, Pro Glass ... Circles of Confusion??? (gone round and round on this one, still confused!).

Anyway, it's a holiday Monday here so this is how my brain is working today. Please feel free to leave a comment if you want to share some of your "language of photography".

¡Saludos y que tenga un buen día!

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment